Wanted: Data Scientist
We’re looking for a Data Scientist. The job (should you choose to accept it) will see you taking the reins of the data we process and the answers we extract from it.
We’re a completely flat/transparent operation and keep no secrets. We manage our engineering process through a combination of Slack, GitHub, Trello, email and
- Grounding in statistics/CS theory and core Machine Learning principles.
- Can take a large dataset and answer key business questions in a repeatable, testable manner.
- Work in a scientific manner, establishing hypotheses, success criteria and conducting relevant experiments.
- Can bridge the gap between startup agility and scientific method, i.e. going from experimentation to production models.
- Have experience in relevant technology stacks, e.g. R, Python (pandas, scikit-learn), Scala, Apache Spark etc.
What you’ll be doing:
- Put simply, you’ll be analysing financial transaction data to understand what factors contribute to credit-worthiness.
- We’re building fair models of risk that backed up by facts, so you’ll be utilising machine learning and predictive analytics to detect patterns in real financial behaviour that lead to defaults in loan repayments.
- Lending is as much about financial health as it is about propensity to repay, so you’ll be deconstructing and explaining your models to help consumers increase their financial resilience.
- As experimentation evolves, previously unknown ideas could likely have business impact, so you’ll be prototyping internal tooling for future experimentation.
- Data Science is an expansive field, so you’ll be exploring scientific research in parallel fields and presenting findings at relevant industry events (sometimes in exotic countries with white sandy beaches)
- Debating the relative merits of London’s many craft breweries, coffee houses and carrot cakes.
What we value:
- Commitment, restraint, expansive thinking, honesty and a good sense of humour
- We are transparent and expect the same, we prefer whiteboards not loud voices.
- Familiarity with a startup environment, we value efficient time management over “bums on seats”
- Motivation: you need to love this.
- Learning: we’re hiring you for your ability to learn quickly not because we think you already know it all.
- We’ll pay you £38-44k/annum based on experience
- Up to 1% of the company
- A nice place to work and a sparkly new laptop
Not sure? That’s cool, let’s grab a beer/coffee and talk it through.